Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Quote of the Day - 10.12.2013

The rainbow people of God
Desmond Tutu, The Rainbow People of God: The Making of a Peaceful Revolution


I intend here to more reflect on something that watching the UN panel on genocide sparked yesterday. Namely: the notion that the definition of genocide should be extended to include people discriminated against on the basis of sexuality. In this panel was cited the recent example of an unnamed African leader stating that the greatest threat faced at present was homosexuality and he would do his utmost to ensure it was eradicated from his territory.

Tutu's quote, originally relating to the fact that all people, regardless of race or skin colour belong to the same family, and should work, live and play together. I think in today's culture it takes on a further meaning. Though western countries are slowly waking up to the discrimination against sexual orientations, (and I am pleased to note that the first equal marriages will take place in April next year), the progress is slow, and it is a battle that is largely unnoticed. 

I myself am part of a Church that is only just taking baby steps towards potentially acknowledging that God loves us all - rainbow or not. And while I praise them, I silence the voice inside me that says perhaps I should be doing more. That it is unacceptable to punish anyone for aspects of themselves that are beyond their control. I act in my limited way. I refuse to go to a church where the priest is known to be anti-gay, one of the questions I ask myself when I walk into a new church is 'Would my best friend be welcome here?', if she wouldn't be, then I won't be either. But at the same time it is easy to make excuses for my inaction, I do my best, don't I? I do my bit. I'll leave the rest up to the activists.

But this isn't enough. I need to stand up against injustice wherever I find it, I need to stop being afraid to explain my views to those who might not agree. And we need, as a society, to stand up and say that this is not ok. That persecution on the basis of sexuality is as abhorrent as we now find persecution on the basis of race, ethnicity of gender. Individually we must make a stand, because until individuals unite in this, there is no hope that our governments will stand up, impose sanctions, or take action against countries promoting this form of persecution. 

We need to all acknowledge that we are not doing enough, that more must be done, that one day we might truly be able to say 'we are the rainbow people of God'.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you in part; I can feel very guilty when not taking a stand when I have an opportunity. But I think it's a matter of perspective - if we each have our part to play, I don't think we all have a duty to rise up and make a lot of clamour. ‘Doing your bit’ can be enough, as long as you’re doing the most you can.

    You say it isn't enough to leave it up to the activists, but it depends what you mean. Personally, I'm happy to leave the shouting and big stuff to the activists, but inaction is not the only other option. Working on a small scale just within your own life is just as important as the rallies and campaigns, because society needs both loud pushing from the famous guy on telly, and quiet pushing from their next door neighbour, to really pay attention.

    And sometimes it just isn't the right context to make a stand. Overall, I feel obliged to speak out and raise awareness about bisexuality; however, I spent six weeks on a work placement and didn't ever mention it. I think the difference is you mention being afraid of confrontation - I think you're right that that is not excuse enough. My excuse was a work environment where I was not establishing especially long-term relationships held no need to get personal. Had it been brought up as a subject in a casual conversation, I would have engaged with it.

    So yes, individually we must take a stand. But an individual's stand can be as small as supporting the activists as one of the crowd, and encouraging conversation amongst family and friends. The key is being open about your opinion – no need for everyone to make a big deal, but quietly being clear where you stand, as an example to the people in your life. And I think that is enough.

    Lovely post darling, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, but I think what I more mean is always being critical of what we are doing, not just doing our bit, but knowing whether there is anything else we should or could do at present. What I do at the moment might be enough, but equally there is probably more I could or should do in the future and one should always be considering that.

      Delete
    2. I understand, and you're right. In Britain (to really generalise) we have got to the point where a lot of big stuff like laws about sex, discrimination, and marriage are well on their way to being sorted, and now it is up to the individual to concentrate on the minutiae of everyday life and attitudes, and widen their awareness of issues they come across in their own lives where they have the opportunity, or they can create the opportunity, to be more proactive.

      Delete